Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Alton Gets Snippy

To tell you the truth, I was barely aware that there was a new cooking reality program called The Next Iron Chef. (And, thanks to 30 Rock's brilliant Jack Donaghey I can no longer hear the name of a reality show without thinking of his summer hits, America's Top Pirate and MILF Island.) Frankly, between Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef, Kitchen Nightmares, Next Food Networks Star, etc. I thought the food reality show concept had pretty much been played out.

TV Food Fan has a nice long review of the first episode of the program. But the thing I found most amusing was the quote at the end of the article from host Alton Brown, who everybody thinks is all cute, warm and fuzzy but I've always suspected was actually egotistical and snarky.

Reading this article about how great The Next Iron Chef is makes me think I might be right.
Make no mistake, said Brown, "The Next Iron Chef" isn't a run-of-the-mill reality, cooking show. This has been a food fight with flair between hardened experts -- so don't expect another version of Bravo's "Top Chef."

"Those people are one step up from Denny's," said a fiery Brown. "My mom could do that. There's nothing cheesy or cheap about (Iron Chef)."

Really? So you and your mom wouldn't be opposed to competing against, say, Hung, Casey, Dale, Sam, Elan, Tre, Marcel or Harold? Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed Brown's shows like Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt, but as far as I can tell Brown's latest culinary contribution has been putting BBQ on top of pancakes.

3 comments:

Cham said...

The Food Network needs to clean house.

Everything seems to start as follows: "Begin with 1 lb. of white cheddar cubed"

Barf.

roopa said...

I saw Alton's snobby comments and was really surprised and disappointed - he's one of the few people left on that channel that actually teach people something (it may not be haute cuisine, but knowing the science behind cooking is valuable).

He just lost a few points in my book.

John said...

Alton is really starting to irritate me, I hate to say. He started to lose me with the latest season of the "Next Food Network Star". Hey I'm not proud. I'll go to Denny's once in a while. Less often now than before but I wouldn't refuse outright.