Friday, January 06, 2017

The Hungover Gourmet's 2017 Burger Challenge: Find It. Eat It. Rank It.

A few weeks back I was texting with an old friend and he mentioned that he'd just completed a Big Mac/Whopper smackdown that started during the summer and ended just before Christmas. The verdict? Naturally, The Whopper reigned supreme.

A couple things crossed my mind as I stared at his text:

  1. Who didn't know The Whopper is superior to the Big Mac?
  2. Why wouldn't you add more burgers to the mix?
  3. If I don't like Big Macs why can I still sing the jingle... backwards?
You'd have to ask my pal to answer the first two questions, but the answer to #3 lies with a Philly radio station contest back in the 1970s. You sent in your name and phone number and if they called your house you had to sing the Big Mac jingle ("Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun" – created by ad exec Keith Reinhard and set to music by Mark Vieha), but you had to sing it backwards ("Bun seed sesame..." and so on).

This guy learned it more recently and posted a video of him singing it and then falling down (I probably would have cut out that last part). Long story short, I can't remember 95% of what I learned during 18 years of school but I can still recall that backwards jingle on a moment's notice. 

Bravo, Dan. Money well spent.

Within a few hours of seeing the Whopper/Big Mac text and getting home I'd formulated a plan for The Hungover Gourmet's 2017 Burger Challenge... 
  • Find, eat and rank a different burger each week. 
  • Burgers can be from a restaurant, diner, bar, fast food joint, independent burger place, ballpark, even frozen (a stipulation put in simply to justify having White Castles one week and maybe some of those Ballpark Grillers I like). 
  • A homemade burger is allowed in a pinch.
  • Burger is eater's choice (ie, doesn't have to be the same style burger at each place nor does it have to be a restaurant's signature burger).
  • Beef is preferred but turkey, bison, etc. are allowed.
And that's about it: Find It. Eat It. Rank It.

In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions for any burger recommendations in the Maryland, Delaware, Philly, New Jersey region. Feel free to post in the comments below or email me via editor@hungovergourmet.com.

No comments: