Monday, April 27, 2009

Pop the Cork on the Science Behind Wine

Despite an abundance of first-hand experience my wine knowledge can be summed up like so:
  • I have to spend at least $7 on a bottle of white wine or I get a tremendous headache
  • My tolerance for red wine seems to have no price limit and I currently prefer pinot noir
  • I once drank a bottle of "organic" wine and was rewarded with one of my Top 10 Illnesses
  • Low-end fortified wines such as Thunderbird, Night Train, MD 20/20 and Cisco cause eyebrow singe, temporary paralysis, sudden narcolepsy and elbow stink
In other words, I could probably benefit from attending Science Uncorked: Wineology 101 hosted by the Maryland Science Center on Thursday, April 30 from 6:30 - 8:00 pm.

Experts from The Wine Market will lead an informal discussion on the science of wine and the roles color, scent and taste play in selecting our fermented favorites. Guests will learn about taste zones, clarity and bouquet while sampling a variety of wine and food pairings.

Tickets to Science Uncorked are $35 for Maryland Science Center members and $40 for non-members. Attendees must be 21 or older. RSVP by calling 410.545.5960.

No comments: