Thursday, August 01, 2013

THIRSTY THURSDAY: Fascist Pig Ale

I started out the summer thinking I could make a decent dent in Thrillist's 'Summer Beers Checklist' and I actually got off to a pretty good start.

I shopped with the list in my back pocket, I grabbed six packs instead of twelve packs and, well, I probably drank more beer than I should have.

And after the first couple weeks I had more than a handful of entries knocked off – at which point I started getting a little cocky. Because, as I often do, I fell into a rut. This time it wasn't as bad as eating the same thing for breakfast every day for over a year but it was a rut nonetheless.

Pretty soon I found myself checking the list only to realize I was buying the same things over and over and over.

"Harpoon? Nope. Already had it. Sierra Summerfest? Eh, already had it."

Luckily, one of my local beer stores (the excellent Fairground Discount Beverages) has a case of handy singles which I've been scouring for entries from the aforementioned checklist – like 21st Amendment Bitter American and Anchor Brewing Summer Beer – as well as other brews that catch my eye.

Such as Fascist Pig Ale from Finch's Beer Co. I grabbed one of these last week as I made my way to the counter with a twelve of – doh! – Sierra Nevada Summerfest, laughing as my daughter kept referring to it as "Fashion Pig Ale". Then again, judging from the can you can see how she might have made that mistake.

At home I poured the slightly cloudy red ale into a pint glass and found it to be quite enjoyable. A nice, slightly thick and creamy brew with notes of malt, toffee and caramel, Fascist Pig Ale boasts 8% ABV and 72 IBU.

Though it's a brew I'd probably enjoy a bit more in the fall as the temps are dropping and the leaves are starting to turn, it provided a nice break from the heavy dose of Pale Ales and Kolsch-style beers I've been frequenting.

No comments: