Sunday, January 01, 2023

Eat Kraut for Good Luck!


Well, we made it past New Year's Eve and 2023 is upon us. Growing up I remember talk of pork and sauerkraut being a good luck dish for the new year. I wasn't sure if this was just stuff my family made up to mess with me like "crunchy bits in fig bars are ant heads" but according to historian William Woys Weaver, the Pennsylvania Dutch ate pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day because "pigs root forward" and are not backwards scratching animals like turkeys and chicken. Good luck or not I LOVE sauerkraut so I'm happy to work it into any meal. Neither the Fresh Ham with Kraut and Apple Stuffing nor the Pork and Kraut Casserole with Applesauce Gravy would have been out of place on my Mom or her sister Josie's holiday table. "May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live." (From 'Cooking with Kraut', prepared by National Kraut Packers Association, Oak Park, IL, date unknown) Click picture for full size image. – Dan Taylor

#sauerkraut #sauerkrautlover #suaerkrautrecipes #kraut #krautrecipes #vintage #vintagerecipes #vintagecookbooks #cookbooks #recipeoftheday

No comments: