Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Cape Cod Jalapeno and Cheddar Potato Chips

I had a hankering for potato chips this morning. I'm not sure why, since those killjoys in California are now telling me that they, too, cause cancer. What's next, DVDs? Going to the movies? Sure, take away the simple joys left in life. Why can't something like going to the dentist cause cancer?

Anyway, while patrolling the racks I couldn't find anything that caught my eye until I spied Cape Cod Jalapeno and Aged Cheddar. Flavored chips are a dicey proposition. Sometimes they're great (Lays Dill Pickle), sometimes they're not (Herr's Steak & Worcestershire Sauce).

I can gladly add these old fashioned kettle cooked chips to the "Good" list. At first I wasn't wowed by the flavor. A hint of cheddar and more than a hint of jalapeno, but they didn't appear to have much of a kick.

At first.

After a chip or two went down there was a moderately hot but not unpleasant afterbite. Now I find myself wanting to devour the entire bag. The old fashioned kettle cooking gives them that uniquely curled up, thick and crunchy bite that I like. If you, too, enjoy a chip with a little zing, check these babies out!

No comments: