Monday, April 24, 2006

One On Top of the Other


I am fascinated by the concept of the multi-tiered burger. I can still recall the massive mid-70s publicity campaign of the then-groundbreaking Big Mac sandwich, which featured multiple burgers on one sandwich, separated by an additional layer of bread. Frankly, I never liked The Big Mac and recent vacation travel visits to McDonald's reminded me of my overall dislike for their food (Filet-O-Fish excused).

The first multi-tiered burger that really attracted my attention was the Double-R-Bar Burger at Roy Rogers. This brilliant concoction featured a Roys burger patty topped by a pillowy mound of thinly sliced deli ham. Genius.

The Double-R was my favorite burger for years, but the slow, steady disappearance of Roys restaurants from the fast food landscape made it harder and harder for me to feed the craving.

These days, the only nearby Roys eateries are in freeway travel rest stops and getting a Double-R is frequently a hit or miss affair. Some don't even offer it on their menu, and those that do sometimes totally screw it up. One recent visit resulted in a hamburger with a dry, purpley-tinged slab of leftover breakfast ham atop it. Not really what I was looking for.

Never fear, though, as fast food mad scientists continue to push the boundaries of culinary concoctions. The latest offering is the Philly Cheesesteak Burger from Hardees.

Take 1/3 lb. 100% Angus beef burger and top it with a heaping mound of thinly-sliced steak, sauteed peppers and onions, Swiss and American cheese for an artery-hardening 63 grams of fat, 930 calories, and 1750 mg of sodium. The sandwich is being unveiled on Tuesday, April 25 and I will report my findings...

No comments: