Thursday, May 31, 2007

Trying to Lose Weight? Maybe You Should Just Steer Clear of the Fast Food Joints Completely...

A few weeks ago some friends had a shower for our upcoming addition to the family. What I didn't anticipate is that from the look of some of the photos, I appeared to be more pregnant than my wife.

After picking myself up off the floor I decided that I needed to re-examine my diet, cut out some things, cut back on others, and start paying more attention to what I was eating and drinking.

Frankly, the results were sorta shocking and the newfound dietary attention has paid off. I've lost about 10 lbs. and My Big Fat Polack Face doesn't look quite as huge these days. Amazing how much you can lose when you have one hot dog for lunch, don't down a bottle of wine when you're cooking dinner, and eliminate chips at lunch and cheese & cracker platters before dinner.

What I can say is that visiting fast food restaurants didn't enter into my dietary plans. Yep, neither salads nor bugers (or burritoes) from the big four (McD's, Burger King, Taco Bell or Wendy's) seemed like a really viable way to cut the pounds.

Which is what makes this post from The Consumerist so amusing. Obviosuly, it's a snarky post that points out the basic flaw of getting a salad at a fast food joint. But funnier than the article itself are some of the reader comments aimed at pointing out the site's flawed logic.

3 comments:

John said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! I remember a few years ago I was about 20 lbs overweight. But an ex got me into aerobic kickboxing, I started drinking diet sodas (made me wretch at first but now my body just can't take regular anymore) and now more than ever I just can't stomach the fast food. Especially BK. Every time I eat it, it leaves a nasty old film in my mouth. Bleeaaaahh!

Mod Betty said...

This was one of my faves:

"Attempting to lose weight by eating fast food is like trying to get fit by going to the movie theater."

And I am going to the movies this Sunday--oooh feel the burn!

:-)

Dave S. said...

What the...I go away for a week and you reformat your blog? I like it. Congrats on the weight loss. I'm still waiting for my year of competitive eating to catch up to my aging metabolism.