Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mushroom Recipe Challenge: Shrimp & Lobster Mushroom Bisque

With one of my all-time favorite foods – meatloaf – given the mushroom treatment earlier, I thought it would be appropriate to use another variety of dried mushroom to tackle another love of mine. Actually, two loves – seafood bisque and mushroom soup.

Granted, I'm not sure that I've ever had anything other than Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup more than a half-dozen times in my life so I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into. I ended up choosing Lobster Mushrooms thanks to their sweet, delicate flavor but in retrospect perhaps I should have gone with the Black Trumpet variety.

Ingredients
1/2 lb. medium shrimp, cleaned, peeled, deveined
1/2 cup lobster mushrooms, chopped
2-1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp shallot, minced
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp Bacon Salt (Original)*
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup mushroom stock, divided
1/6 cup all purpose flour

Reconstitute mushrooms in boiling water to cover for about 20 minutes and reserve broth. Place shrimp and 1/3 cup stock in blender or mini chopper and process until finely minced.

Heat large saucepan or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high. Melt butter and saute mushrooms and shallots until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in flour to coat, then add wine and stir.

Add 1/3 cup stock, seasonings and shrimp mixture. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add cream and heat through. Do not boil.

Using immersion blender puree until desired consistency. Can also be pureed in blender in batches.

*If Bacon Salt is not available use commercial Creole or Seafood blend.

No comments: