Saturday, January 07, 2023

Roast and Fried Chicken from Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cook Book (1954)


My best friend Lou would have turned 57 today. Despite growing up a few streets from one another, we didn't meet until our freshman year of college when a mutual friend got us together over Thanksgiving break. We became fast friends and spent countless hours hanging out, watching movies, talking about movies, seeing bands, cracking each other up, doing radio shows, cutting classes, and generally getting up to no good. My Mom loved Lou (despite initially thinking he was a 40-something guy hanging out with college kids), and he was a frequent guest for a pre-shenanigans Sunday night dinner. And, if you were at the Taylor household for Sunday dinner, roast chicken was probably on the menu. As far as I know, 'Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cook Book' (General Mills, 1954) was the only cookbook my Mom owned. She owned it but never referenced it, preferring to cook by sight and taste, measuring things by hand and "eye-balling it". If she employed a chicken "recipe" it probably started from here and evolved over time. The funny thing is that after about a half-dozen dinners of either fried or roast chicken, Lou said to me: "Dante, can you do me a favor? Your mom is the best, and I really appreciate the dinner invites. But can you tell her I don't like chicken?" They were both the best and I miss 'em dearly. Click picture for full size image. – Dan Taylor

#chicken #chickenrecipes #frenchtoast #frenchtoastrecipes #vintage #vintagerecipes #cookbooks #vintagecookbooks #bettycrocker #recipeoftheday

No comments: