Thursday, March 01, 2007

Fish Sandwich Recipe

All this talk about Filet-O-Fish got me thinking about the great fish sandwiches I used to have on an almost weekly basis when I lived in Pittsburgh. In a town jam packed with Catholics, every bar and restaurant in the 'Burgh offered a fish sandwich (or fish sammich as the local pronunciation seemed to go) that was the biggest or best around. I tried a bunch but the ones at The Original Oyster House (seen in John Landis' INNOCENT BLOOD) were my favorite.

After I moved from the 'Burgh I featured a wrap up of my years there in THG #4 (still available from our store). This was one of the recipes that accompanied the piece. Enjoy with an ice cold Ahrn City Pahnder...

- Fillets of cod, flounder, sole, haddock or other fish suitable for deep frying
- Plate of flour seasoned with oregano, pepper or spices of your choice
- Egg was comprised of 1 slightly beaten egg plus 2 tbsp. water
- Bread crumbs or cracker meal
- Hamburger buns

Dry fillets with a paper towel. Dredge with flour and shake off excess. Dip in egg wash and roll in bread crumb mixture. Arrange a few pieces in a frying basket and deep fry in 370 degree vegetable oil until golden brown. (You can also deep fry in a cast iron skillet if you don't have a deep fryer.) Drain and place one piece on each bun. Serve with malt vinegar and tartar sauce.

No comments: