Saturday, May 19, 2007

Spring Officially Arrives with First Grilling

While I know that spring arrived on the calendar eight weeks ago I've been, well, a little busy. But the grilling bug started nipping at me earlier this week, so I power washed my trusty old grill, bought her a spiffy new cover, and set about deciding on what to grill first.

At the same time the grilling bug hit me a steamed clam bug hit me and I decided it was as good a time as any to combine the two. So last night after Chris got home from work we fired the old girl up, threw some Natty Boh in the bottom of a pot, tossed in a couple dozen steamers, and then grilled up some turkey burgers and a few ears of corn.

I was a bit concerned when, after 15 minutes, my clams had not opened up, but a quick increase in heat and a few extra minutes led to every single clam unhinging and offering up its meaty innards.

As for the rest of the meal, it's still early so the corn was good but not great, and the turkey burgers were fantastic (we get them at Costco and they're the best turkey burgers around) but remind me never to get Lienenkugel's Sunset Wheat beer again. I couldn't make up my mind at the liquor store and made this choice. And it was a bad choice.

I'm not a huge fan of wheat beer to begin with and this one is flavored with something like coriander. It's tough to describe but if I can get gross for just a moment, do you know how your bathroom smells the day after you've had too much beer. That's sorta what this tastes like. The only good thing about it is that I dislike it so much that I can't drink more than one and I refuse to buy new beer until these are gone.

No comments: