Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Louis Fowler is Braver Than Me

If you're a regular reader of the Exploitation Retrospect website you are probably familiar with the work of Louis Fowler, contributor extraordiniare. Quite frankly, Louis came along at a time when I desperately needed some new voices on the site and his reviews and enthusiasm are always welcome.

But, I'm not here to sing his praises as a writer. I'm here to tell you that Louis Fowler is braver than me.

Over the years I've tried lots of crazy things in the name of "journalism". McDonald's Philly Cheesesteaks. Hardee's Philly Cheesesteak Burger. Herr's Steak and Worcestershire Potato Chips. Baken-Ets Hot'N'Spicy Fried Pork Skins. I even ate – well, tasted and spit out is more like it – something called Monkfish Liver, but that wasn't even in the name of journalism!

What I haven't worked up the courage to try, though, is the KFC Famous Bowl. Oh yeah, you've seen it... chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, cheese. I think they even added a biscuit to it recently. You may have, in a weaker moment, even thought to yourself, "That doesn't look half bad." (Come on, if you admit it I'll admit it.)

What you probably haven't done – like me – is try it. And these things have been available for a couple years now. You'd think I would've had one by accident.

Instead I have to live vicariously through the adventurous eating of men braver than me. Men like Louis Fowler. I salute you, sir.

No comments: