Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Best Ever Smashed Tates?

Chris has been cooking up a storm of late (I think those State Fair ribbons have all gone to her head... kidding!) and I don't just mean finding and following recipes. She's been tweaking stuff she thinks she'll like and even venturing out into the world of recipe creation. That's a bit adventurous for me, I always like to have some basic framework to operate from, even if my end result varies wildly from what the magazine or book intended.

Last night I decided to make one of our favorite fish dishes, a Pineapple and Basil Glazed Tilapia that has been in regular rotation for us since we first made it from the pages of Cooking Light several years ago. (Their recipe calls for Sea Bass but Tilapia is usually far more affordable.)

I was already planning to whip up some simple steamed, herbed green beans but I wanted some kind of potato dish to go with it. While glancing through the September issue of Cooking Light I found this recipe for Smashed Red Potatoes stuck in the back under their 'Menu Suggestions' department. I added more salt and pepper and lighted it a bit with fat-free milk and reduced fat sour cream, but the resulting dish is so flavorful that you won't notice. And boy am I glad I made a double batch so we can have them again with tonight's dinner.
  • 2.5 lbs. red potatoes, quartered
  • 2/3 cup fat free milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 tsps kosher salt
  • 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Quarter potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return pan to heat, add milk and butter, cook 1 minute or until heated. Add potatoes, mash to desired consistency. (I used electric beater.) Stir in sour cream, green onions, salt and pepper.

No comments: