Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Cheesesteak Throwdown on the Way?


While surfing the channels last night I watched a bit of 'Throwdown' on the Food Network -- it was the show where Bobby Flay challenged Butch Lupinetti, a guy from Mt. Laurel, NJ to a BBQ cookoff. I grew up a stone's throw from where the show was shot so it was fun to see Flay driving around my old stomping grounds.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the show, but that's more because I detest Flay's smug personality and nature. His food might be great -- and probably is -- and I enjoy making several of his recipes, but each time I see him on one of these shows I want somebody to knock that smug smirk right off his kisser.

As Iron Chef Morimoto once said, "Bobby Flay is not a chef."

According to a report at TV Food Fan, Flay apparently returned to another of my old stomping grounds -- The City of Brotherly Lunch -- for a throwdown with cheesesteak maker (and roast pork sandwich legend) Tony Luke.

On the topic of cheesesteaks, I'll have to give Tony Luke's a try next time I'm in the area. I'm a big fan of Dallesandro's and Steve's and wholeheartedly agree with TV Food Fan's assessment that the depiction of Pat's and Geno's (or even Jim's on South Street as far as I'm concerned) as the area's top purveyor of cheesesteaky goodness is just wrong.

No comments: