Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, Presenting Your Ultimate Couch Potato Contestants

On Friday afternoon I'll be sitting at home, watching the Winter Classic (Go Flyers!) and enjoying the aroma of a turkey roasting in the oven. Though my chances of winning a big-screen home entertainment package are pretty slim, I will have the opportunity to go to the bathroom whenever I want, nod off if the chance presents itself, and ring in the new year with a frosty beer or two (possibly served on the Spectrum Ice coaster I got my wife for Christmas).

That's more than I can say for the competitors in this year's ESPN Zone Ultimate Couch Potato Competition. As I reported previously, competitors will sit in recliners to see who can absorb the most continuous hours of televised sports without falling asleep or throwing in the towel. The Baltimore contestants include defending champ Jessica Mosley (whose unofficial Guiness World Record of 70 hours and 45 seconds dusts marks from NY and Chicago winners), 2009 runner-up Alex Pyzik, Chad Jones (a communications director from Fort Meade, MD), and Chris Dachille (a sports producer from nearby Timonium, MD).

I don't know if any of the finalists are THG readers but one can only hope. For more on the contestants here and in Chicago and New York, check out the ESPN Zone website.

No comments: