Friday, October 01, 2010

When is a Pumpkin Stout Not a Pumpkin Stout?

Kicking off the Halloween season with a Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout. I don't like my beer to be overly spiced so I picked this one out because it suggested the flavoring was "subtle".

Actually, it's pretty much so subtle I can't taste anything past the stout. I suppose this is a good thing but I wouldn't mind a "little" pumpkin flavor.

Can anybody recommend a nice seasonal brew that's not too heavy on the spices like clove and nutmeg?

2 comments:

roopa said...

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is my favorite - it's a dark brown ale with a hint of pumpkin and not a ton of spice, but enough to make it a great seasonal beer.

SconnieGirl808 said...

Southern Tier's Pumking. It's completely delicious. I mean, pumpkin-pie-in-liquid-form delicious. But without being TOO spicy or too sweet. You definitely get that, "This is a BEER, but it tastes like so much more!!" feeling.