Thursday, December 21, 2006

Site of the Day: Cooking By Numbers

How many nights have you come home from a long day at work and thought "What the heck am I going to make for dinner?" I'm okay at coming up with something off the top of my head based upon what I have on hand, but I'm always better if I can kickstart my brain with a few ideas.

Enter Cooking By Numbers, a site that generates menu options based on what's in your fridge and cupboard. Just check off any of the 50 ingredients listed (everything from fish, garlic and vegetables to coffee, rice and canned tomatoes) and you'll get a list of menu possibilities ranked on your possible success.

For instance, I put in the ingredients on hand in my kitchen and got back a list of 34 possibilities from a Fried Egg to Thai Lamb Fillets (though I'd have to run out and get a couple of the ingredients missing from the lamb dish).

There's also sections on how to execute some practical cooking tasks, something called Vodka Jelly and a game called Tomato Attack.

A fun and practical site that I'll definitely be bookmarking.

No comments: