Friday, December 19, 2008

REVIEW: Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout

The rains are pounding away outside but I guess I should be glad it's not snow. If we were getting a huge snowstorm like parts of the country I might want to have some of the Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout I tried earlier this week on hand.

I'm not a huge sweets guy or chocolate lover so I wasn't sure how I'd respond to something whose label touts "chocolate malt and real dark chocolate mixed with Young's full flavored dark ale".

Poured into a pint glass (though it might not pass Beer Snob muster as a "true" pint) the dark liquid has about a 2" thick, brown sudsy head. Expecting the worst – or at least something that might send me into a sugar shock coma – I was pleased to find that neither the aroma nor the taste was overpoweringly sweet or chocolaty. Instead, imagine a nice dark beer mixed with a bit of Hershey's Syrup... and it's actually better than that makes it sound.

Smooth and enjoyable I'd probably get bored with this after two bottles or so, but I can imagine this being enjoyed with a hearty dinner like a good steak, pork roast or maybe even bacon wrapped rosemary chicken. THG rates it an A-.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, and it sounds like it would be very similar to this Double Chocolate Stout. Very nice for those cold days - and just a little chocolate to make it special.

If I see this beer you reviewed, I'll pick it up to try.

John said...

I have a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout sitting in my fridge right now, waiting to be drunk as we speak. It's wonderful stuff.