Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Snowmageddon 2: Electric Blanket Boogaloo

As much as I dislike the snow I'm usually good for one big storm a year. You know the drill... stock up on grub, grab a bottle of wine, build a fire, curl up with the little one for some Disney flickage, and then haul out the trash flicks once she's tucked in bed.

Unfortunately, I was under the mistaken impression that the storm before Christmas was our Big Storm of the Year. After all, it dumped about 20" on us and how many times – in the Mid-Atlantic, at least – do we get more than one 20" storm in the same season?

I'm pretty sure the answer, before this weekend that is, would have been "never". Now I'm staring out my back door at a foot-and-a-half of snow (compacted down from the 28" that fell over the weekend), foot-long icicles hanging from my gutters, and more snowflakes falling from the sky, trying to mass themselves into a storm that's gonna drop another 10-20" on us.

In fact, big,wet-looking flakes just started falling from the sky as I type this. Oh, goodie.

Unfortunately, Snowmageddon 1 took its toll on me from a gourmet standpoint. After whipping up a lovely roast chicken, some amazing mashed potatoes (twice), a Latin-style pork roast, Adam Perry Lang's fantastic spice-encrusted wings, rich deviled eggs with goat cheese & thyme, and griddlecakes (with assistance from Ryan, as shown) I just don't have it in me for this go 'round.

This time we're going with a more low-key approach... my turkey burger version of the Roy Rogers Double R Bar Burger, cheese and crackers, spaghetti squash and frozen meatballs, salad and some fruit are all on our Snowmageddon 2 menu.

How are you planning to pass the time as we ride out the second storm in less than a week?

2 comments:

John said...

My inner foodie called out earlier this week because of the snow. Right now I only have the patience to make Jello and bacon dogs. Bacon around a hot dog is absolutely wonderful, I might add.

Dan said...

I'm with ya John. Last night was turkey burgers, leftover wings and frozen fries. Not sure if tonight will be spaghetti squash and meatballs or a frozen pizza. Damn, I wish we had some bacon!