Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Bananas in Salads from A Study of the Banana (1942)


I know it's getting late, but there's still time for me to wish you a Happy National Banana Lover's Day! For the first half of my life I was not what you would call a "banana lover". Oh sure, I loved the flavor of a banana bubble gum cigar but a REAL banana? No thanks. Maybe my mom tried to serve me Banana Cabbage Salad or Banana Peanut Fan Salad (from A Study of the Banana: Its Every-Day Use and Food Value [Student's Manual], 1942) and I blocked out the memory but internalized the horror. Either way, I finally grew to love the banana and its "bacteria-proof wrapper". I hope your holiday was merry. (Click image for full-size picture.) – Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor is the editor/publisher of The Hungover Gourmet. There's still time to submit your contribution for our next issue. See the THG website for more details.

#banana #bananasalad #vintagerecipes #vintagecookbooks #vintagecooking

No comments: